Remote Staff Software Engineer (Ruby)
We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind—creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that's not only incredibly talented, but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
In your role as a staff engineer you will be tasked with solving our hardest problems by leading and architecting complex, highly-scalable solutions; along with performing as a strong individual contributor on the team.
At this point in your career you will have had a broad-range of technology acumen as well as a depth of experience in more than one area. You will have a significant impact on the engineering organization itself by helping advance Bold Penguin’s software engineering discipline.
What You'll Do
- Engage across product teams to plan, coordinate, architect, and deliver high-complexity features
- Ensure that solutions are built with security, performance, and fault-tolerance in mind
- Be an expert in modern cloud architecture and concepts in software engineering such as continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps and site-reliability engineering
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery
- Mentor more junior engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, SDLC, etc. to facilitate career growth on the team
Skills AnD Qualifications
- 10+ years of professional engineering experience (with at least 5 years of it being Ruby on Rails)
- Previous working experience in high-growth technology companies and/or startups
- Ability to articulate very complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical people
- Experience building highly-resilient, cloud-native applications
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Bonus points for open source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Working experience in high-growth technology companies or startups very desirable.
- Previous experience working in a remote role a plus!
- Monday lunches! We know you’re not local, so no worries, we’ll cover your lunch too.
- Office equipment is your call. Whether you prefer Mac, PC, or Linux, one screen or three, we’ll set you up for success.
- Stay connected to the Glacier. We slack. A lot. We also like to video conference on the regular.
- See the Glacier (from your home). We kick off every week with an all-hands meeting on Monday and we have a second weekly meeting on Thursday.
- Travel to the Glacier. We have an open door philosophy. Our engineering organization will host events throughout the year too.
- Penguins thrive in colonies. That’s why we created colorful engagement teams. These teams have their own Slack channels, events, and sometimes a little friendly team competition!
Preferred, but not required
Salary & Benefits
Bold Penguin believes in inclusion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, beak size, or inability to fly.
To learn more about our results-focused culture and employee-focused perks, read more on our careers page.